Our Dental Care
Dental Exams and Cleanings
- Our Hygiene Team consists of highly trained and licensed ental hygienists who have dedicated their careers to helping children and families -- This is one of the most important reasons to consider a pediatric dental office over a family or general dental environment.
- Twice annual cleanings and exams are important in helping your child develop and maintain trust and positive experiences with their dental care providers.
- We promise to keep things simple, stress free, and as fun and silly as possible -- We want your child to LOVE coming to see us!
- Our goal is to always educate how dental and gum disease develops and ultimately prevent dental disease.
- Exams also help educate children and families on dental and skeletal growth and development -- We are here to answer your questions about orthodontic ("braces") care and timing.
- Typically around age four to five, annual dental radiographs become a necessary and VERY important tool in education, diagnosing, and conservative management and treatment of dental development and cavities. We are a fully digital office which helps minimize exposure risks and our team is dedicated to helping keep your child safe.
- Removal of both plaque and calculus and repeat education on how cavities are formed, diet, twice daily brushing, and daily flossing are critical to mainting healthy gums and minimizing the risk of cavities. At every cleaning, our hygienists will demonstrate proper brushing and flossing and work with you and your child to help decrease the risk gum disease and cavities.
- Topical fluoride: Topical fluoride helps remineralized damaged enamel at the surface of your tooth. Every day the enamel of our teeth is under assault by acids in our food and beverages and acid produced by bacteria in our mouth after the bacteria have metabolised sugars from our foods and beverages. Acid demineralizes and breaks down our enamel and can lead to dental sensitivity and cavities. Fluoride helps protect against acid demineralization and helps rebuild damaged enamel and thus prevent cavities.
- Sealants: Have you ever noticed how "groovy" the chewing surfaces of your molars are? Unfortunately these grooves trap food and are the perfect places for bacteria to hide and cause cavities. Sealants show a 75-80% reduction in cavities on the chewing surfaces of permanent molars. Dr. Matt typically advises sealants on permanent first and second molars for all children and adolescents and sometimes on high risk premolars and primary ("baby") molars.
Personalized Dental Treatment
- Treatment of dental traumas
- Interceptive orthodontics and space maintenance appliances
- Minimally invasive dentistry such as Silver Diamine Flouride, Interim Thearapeutic Restorations, and Protective Restorations
- Esthetic white composite fillings (no amalgam or metal fillings)
- Esthetic white zirconia crowns for front teeth
- Stainless steel crowns for back teeth
- Primary tooth nerve therapies using the most successful biocompatible materials
- Extractions of over retained primary teeth, elective orthodontic extractions, and when indicated, extraction of non-restorable teeth
Children With Special Health Care Needs
- Cognitive and developmental delays and disorders
- Craniofacial Syndromes
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Complex systemic medical diseases and disorders
- Children/adolescents with physical disorders and assistive devices
Nitrous Oxide Sedation
- Fast acting mild sedation
- Safe and magical -- we use these least amount of nitrous to gain the desired level of relaxation
- Helps reduce anxiety
- Helps with pain management
- Can help decreases gag reflex
- Relaxed, but not asleep, patients can still communicate with parents, Dr. Matt, and the Dental Assistant -- This is very important for anxious patients who may fear that they won't know what is happening during dental treatment
- Nitrous helps your child navigate the most difficult aspects of dental treatment, especially local anesthetic and other unfamiliar stimulation like noise and vibration from the handpiece
- Your child will easily and quickly return to normal once the nitrous is turned off